On the evening news last night we learned that a wildfire had broken out in Stourbridge near the golf course. It has been burning rapidly overnight and the current total is 19 homes destroyed with a further 18 suffering damage. Several people have been injured or suffered from smoke inhalation. Many homes have been evacuated and the residents taken to the Town Hall for refuge.
When I opened the patio doors this morning I could smell the acrid smell of smoke as Stourbridge is not too far away, and the fire was not under control at that point. Andy Burnham has been in the area to support those affected as well as the brave firefighters and rescue services. It's very worrying. We, too, are surrounded by tinder dry fields and trees on all sides.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved in this 🙏
___________
Stay safe and well wherever you happen to be,
Angie 💗
Saw it on the news - it's very frightening . People's homes just gone in a few minutes - doesn't seem possible for this country. Very Sad
ReplyDeleteIt took off frighteningly fast. Apparently 500 acres have been affected. The whole country feels like a tinderbox, doesn't it.
DeleteIt's so dry... I've just had an alert sound on my phone from the government - the sound gave me a fright - warning of the dangers of barbecues, firearms, bonfires, fireworks.
ReplyDeleteThe alert scared me too, Kirsten, I was washing up when it sounded. Terrifying.
DeleteI saw this too, very frightening for all concerned. Apparently there's something going round on Tik Tok for kids to start fires, who dreams up this stuff. If it was my kid I'd a) be very ashamed and b) knock them into the middle of next week. The alarm from HM Government that came on my phone frightened me to death. Hopefully the emergency services can cope and put the fires out. Hugs Xx
ReplyDeleteSocial media has a lot to answer for. Apparently kids are encouraged to burn their school books. I agree with you, Gill, I'd be furious if my kids had anything to do with it. They wouldn't dare. I knew where they were at all times when they were school age.
DeleteThe alert scared me to death too. I thought the fire had got closer to us. I cant smell smoke this morning so the fire must be out or, at least, under control thank God.
Stay safe xx
It's a terrifying situation at the moment, and the thought that so many of these fires have been set on purpose is awful. If either of my boys had ever been involved in anything like this I would have marched them round to the Police station.
ReplyDeleteIf only all parents had the same values, Sue.
DeleteThe idea of fires being set on purpose scares me. I do hope that the fire is under control by now and there was no more damage or injuries.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
19 homes were burnt to the ground, Jackie, it is dreadful for the families affected.
DeleteThat is so sad, especially for the people who have been affected by the fires.
ReplyDeleteIt's very sad, Bless :(
DeleteThere are so many areas where the ground is just like a tinderbox ready to ignite. Very scary. I hope we get the rains this week to dampen things down. I feel so sorry for those who have lost their homes.
ReplyDelete