Thank you all so much for leaving empathetic comments on my last post. I'm sorry I haven't replied individually but I can only do so on the main PC as my phone screen is far too small and it's much too fiddly to correct typos on it, especially as Blogger is doing weird things! The main computer is in the bedroom at the back which gets very hot indeed 🔥🔥
We are not venturing out very far at all. If the day is a tad cooler we go and do what is necessary then come home and shut ourselves in again. Gray is being brave and going to the allotment first thing in the morning to water just to keep the crops alive. We really can't afford to lose any more food. The sweetcorn is about to ripen enough to pick and we are hoping desperately that the badgers won't beat us to it this year.
We have been picking:
Allotment
French beans, runner beans (very few this year) raspberries (by the boxful), carrots, radishes, spring onions, potatoes and windfall apples
Greenhouse at home
Crimson Crush tomatoes, Sun Baby yellow tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce
Eating is really the last thing on our minds with the weather being so hot and dry, and I'm trying to make the effort to prepare colourful food for us. This was what I ate yesterday at lunchtime when Gray was at the allotment.....


This heat seems to be the norm now doesn't it? Think we might try moving to Iceland or somewhere cold! I hope you soon feel better the heat just seems to make everything worse. We have been in Norfolk for a few days visiting my oldest sister it was so hot, higher temperatures than here in East Sussex. It was good to get back to see breezes. Take care Sue H
ReplyDeleteIt does, doesn't it, Sue. We did say we might need to move to Scotland where its cooler ! Enjoy your lovely sea breezes 😎
DeleteNo hosepipe ban yet, but I'm trying to be sparing with the water. Saving the washing up and veg prep water for the lawn. Iris revels in the heat and goes a lovely brown, but Baby C is decidely grumpy. The poor cat doesn't quite know what to do with herself either. Thank God we don't have a large garden anymore, I couldn't cope. But my old neighbours have said I would cry if I could see my garden now as its a disgrace. Try and keep cool. Hugs Xx
ReplyDeleteNo ban here either but we refrain from using the hosepipe anyway. Infuriating really when we see neighbours washing cars using a hose :(
DeleteWhat a shame about your old garden. It would have been much easier to keep it tidy than to let it go to ruin and then try to revive it, wouldn't it. At one of our last houses all the trees and shrubs were disposed of to make a bigger grassy area for the kids to play on, and the solar shed (which had cost a lot of money) was taken down. Very sad.
Have a great week, Gill. xx
Good idea to stay indoors when it is so hot outside. It's warming up here, too, but, then, that's how all our summers are and we're used to it. I do try to avoid being outside in the afternoon when it is hottest.
ReplyDeleteI just don't do well in the heat, Bless x
DeleteGood to find your post this morning.
ReplyDeleteDespite the dry and heat it looks like you have some good food from the gardens. I had 4 small cobs from 12 sweetcorn plants - now they are dead!
Yet another week of staying in and reading for me I think - thank goodness there's always something to read.
Thank you, Sue. We are going to the allotment this morning as it's a bit cooler and overcast, and we'll try the sweetcorn to see if it's ready to pick. 4 cobs off 12 plants is a shame after all your hard work.
DeleteYep, reading is the key! I've got 2 more books lined up. Nowhere near the number you have I bet!!
Saving any grey water for the crops is so important, I use ours on the flowers, I still water the veg with the hose, we don't have a ban here, we are covered by Portsmouth water, there draw water from underground, they just ask us to be cautious.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a bit of effort to save grey water, doesn't it Marlene, but well worth it I think. No ban here either but I've had several texts asking that we reduce our consumption if we can. We definitely need rain!
DeleteDB uses a hose pipe to siphon the bathwater out of the window and down into a trug.
ReplyDeleteGosh, that takes some doing. Well done DB! It all helps doesn't it.
DeleteYou seem to have managed to get quite a lot of homegrown stuff through this heatwave. Well done to Gray for his early morning watering sessions.
ReplyDeleteDid you know you can get a diverter to fix into the drainpipe that takes your bathwater to the main drain. Then you can have it going directly into a water butt positioned next to the pipe, or divert it back to the main drain at any point. It used to save my Mum and Dad from doing all the lugging around that you talk about.
No I didn't know that, Sue. Not sure how it would work for us as the bathroom is in the middle of the bungalow and quite some distance from the butt which is attached to the detached garage guttering. Need to investigate, I think, thank you :)
Delete