Thursday, September 10, 2026

Apology, TV and Book-y Mojo!

 I always seem to be apologising lately, but I really am sorry to have been missing once again from blogland.  I'm having trouble using my phone to upload photos and have no other way to add them to my blog.  My phone is far too fiddly to write a blog post on as well so I've fallen by the wayside.  In addition, every update on the PC seems to change the way I have to do things and, quite frankly, I'm struggling with it all.  I really don't like change ๐Ÿ˜•

Anyway, with the weather cooling nicely over the last couple of weeks we did manage a trip to Dudmaston Hall using a free National Trust entry voucher.  It was a beautiful day.  We enjoyed a good walk, a cappuccino and a browse around the second hand books.....


-----------

I have never really complained about paying the BBC licence fee as we watch a lot of BBC dramas, and feel that we, personally, get value for money.  However..... when I went onto iPlayer to find something to watch this week, I got this very unsettling message.....



....... From 31st October our Humax box will cease to work and we won't have access to iPlayer ๐Ÿ˜ฑ  To say that I don't get along with new technology is a gross understatement, so what this actually means for us is beyond me.  Does it mean we need to buy a more up to date TV?  Is it all to do with paying for a streaming service?  Heaven knows.  I will have to let Gray investigate.

-----------

Now that the weather is much better, cooler and with rain on a regular basis, I have got my reading mojo back.  I spotted this title in Sainsbury's, liked the look of it, and ordered it from the library.  I LOVE it! It's right up my street and I think my blog buddy, Gill, would love it too......



Gill introduced me to Lorna Cook and Amanda James so I'm looking out for more of their books.  Isn't it lovely to find a 'new to me' author and have a good binge read ๐Ÿ˜Š

I've tried to add more book-y photos on here but blogger is just not playing ball.  However, last week my neighbour loaned me It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover.  Although it was not my usual genre, and I did feel a bit uncomfortable reading parts of it, I persisted and found it to be rather good with a satisfying ending.  I believe it's been made into a film but I don't think it's one I will really want to watch. 

Has anyone read it? What did you think of it?

This morning I've had an email from the library to say that the latest Rob Rinder book which I ordered is ready for collection.  I'm looking forward to that one!

-------------

On Saturday it will be the village 78th Annual Show which is organised by the Horticultural Guild and Flower Club.  The weather forecast is looking reasonable and we are looking forward to it.  We are both entering a few things ๐Ÿ˜Š

I'm entering some cards and photos into the craft section and Gray is hoping to enter a couple of things into the plants and veg sections.  Unfortunately this year, the weather has created havoc with the growing season and lots of our produce has already 'gone over' so we have very little of exhibition quality produce.  It's just a bit of fun anyway so we're not too worried and just want to support the event.  I'll let you know how we get on ๐Ÿ˜Š

-----------

I've still been struggling with back pain and can't sit for more than 30 minutes at a time, but have managed to make another 20 cards for the Hospice shop over the last 2 weeks.  This makes 360 this year so far ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks for popping in.  Do stay safe and well wherever you happen to be,

Angie ๐Ÿ’—


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation, I shall look out for it. I'm not good with techy things either, to comment on your blog now I have to sign in to Google. We spent the whole morning yesterday trying to open 2 new savings accounts. You seem to get a better interest rate opening an online account. We got there in the end, but I could think of better things to be doing. Out for an Italian meal on Saturday to celebrate daughter's birthday, she will be 46! Also been trying to get the garden sorted out for winter, planted some bulbs and got the lawn cut. Do hope your back is better soon. Mine was complaining yesterday. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your frustration in trying to open accounts online, Gill. Why is everything so difficult?
      An Italian meal sounds lovely for your daughter's birthday. Where do all the years go! My daughter is 51and beginning to feel her age!
      Gray managed to cut the grass a couple of days ago too. It was a right mess and still has bare patches from the drought.
      En joy your weekend, Gill, hope your back is ok xx

      Delete
  2. I sympathise with you about your frustrations with TV technology getting access to all the services. What seems like many years ago now we had a smart TV that had i-player, but couldn't get ITV streaming when that started, so we bit the bullet and bought a new Freeview TV so that we could get all the catch-up services. So far, so good....but I have seen rumours that Freeview is going to change.....!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Will, I believe Freeview will be coming to an end in the next few years. The powers that be can't make up their minds when it will happen at the moment. I dread the changes....

      Delete
  3. We have freeview which works fine ... but every time something is updated and extras are added 'to improve your experience' huh I hold my breath...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is rarely good is it when it comes to TV and anything 'new' or 'improved' sends shivers down my spine!

      Delete
  4. Oh it is so annoying when techie things change and they seem to all the time. We have a Freeview tv and it seems ok about I-player but because our house is on a steep hill and built into the rock our reception is bad and although we have an aerial we still can't pick up all the Freeview channels but we can get all the main ones so we are happy with that. Some of our neighbours cannot get Channels 4 and 5 and that would annoy me. There are so many streaming channels now and apart from costing so much more who wants that many? We have tried a few but quite honestly we didn't think they were worth the extra cost. I hope your back improves soon. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really don't want to incur extra costs for watching TV when our rent goes up and up every year. During the summer months we are content to go into the garden and to read but winter months mean we enjoy TV dramas.
      Thank you for your kind thoughts about my back pain. I'm just getting old I think!

      Delete
  5. Good to see a post from you - thought I left a comment but must have forgotten to press Publish.
    360 cards is amazing!
    Can't help with the TV hitch. I think new TVs work directly off Wifi? but may be wrong. I'm on Freesat which is built into to the TV but found out the remote works off Wifi - life is so complicated. Goodness knows what next.
    Good Luck at the Show with your entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV thing has me completely baffled, Sue. Our reception comes through an aerial I think ; from aerial to Humax box to TV. We CAN get freeview through the TV alone but reception is not very good. I do hate change ๐Ÿคจ

      Delete
  6. I hope you can get your TV situation figured out, Angie and your back feels better, soon. You've made an incredible amount of cards!

    ReplyDelete

Busy, busy, busy.....

Spring 2026 It's been a very busy couple of weeks here, what with hospital appointments and surgery visits etc.  It always takes such a ...