Monday, September 14, 2026

A Village Show, Happy Conversation & All Round Champion Day!

Saturday turned into the perfect day for the village show; cool and dry.  We placed our entries early morning, took a quick peek at the competition and went home for lunch.  The show opened at 2.15pm and there was a fantastic turnout.  With the weather having been dreadful all Summer regarding growth conditions, we didn't expect there to be so many entries!  The baskets were fabulous.....


 
I scored a third prize for my unframed photo of wildflowers (taken at the allotment a few weeks ago).......


...... a second prize for one of my card entries (no prize for guessing it was a 'knitting' card!).....



Graham scored a second prize in the succulent section.  It was a cutting which I bought at the Guild plant sale two years ago and Graham has nurtured it for me ever since 😁 It has developed 3 off shoots and looks very healthy.  It must have enjoyed our very hot Summer this year.....





Only first prize winners could claim the massive £2 prize πŸ˜‚ so no money was involved, but it was very satisfying to win nonetheless.

Our reward to ourselves was coffee and homemade cake.  It cost a mere £4 for three slices of cake and two lovely coffees which we enjoyed sitting under the awning enjoying the fresh air.  Oh...and it was Graham's plate with 2 slices of cake on.... not mine !



I took £12 with me in change to spend on raffle tickets and the tombola, and we will know in the November meeting how much money was raised for the Guild.

------------

When I was retrieving my entries at the end of the show, I got into a conversation with three lovely ladies who were admiring the 'knitting' card.  I explained that it was me who had made it and that I made them for the Hospice shop.  To cut a long story short I offered to give the winning entry to one of the ladies.  She refused to take it for free and insisted on giving me £2.  I've put the money into my jar to use for future supplies and the ladies are going to pay a visit to the shop to see what other cards there are. 

-------------

Thanks so much for popping in.  Stay safe and well wherever you happen to be,

AngieπŸ’—


18 comments:

  1. Well done on your winning certificates.
    Your entries and those baskets of mixed veg look lovely - and the cakes look rather good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. The cakes were delicious and I actually bid on a plate of leftover cake to bring home. I got 6 assorted slices for £2. A bargain!

      Delete
  2. Well done to both of you. The cake looks very scrummy. Iris won a Highly Commended for a drawing of flowers in a vase at their local show, not bad for a 10 year old. I'm ploughing on reading some books a neighbour has given me. Do you like Kitty Neale? Off to do the school run and giving them tea. Will have to move everything as Baby is now crawling. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done Iris! You must be proud of her :)

      I've just emailed you Gill....

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your wins. Love the succulent, such an interesting shape.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done on your entries and the cakes looked delicious. We went to a charity event run by one of our neighbours at the weekend and I have never seen so many cakes none of which I can eat as I am diabetic but my husband sampled a couple and said they were delicious. They raised £1,100 for the charity, amazing. That was lovely about your card and the two ladies. Take care Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame you couldn't try the cake, Sue, but what an amazing amount of money raised by your neighbour. Well done to her!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your wins. Love all your photos. Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on your prizes, both of you. That unframed photo is lovely, and now it deserves to be framed at home to remind you of your successful and enjoyable day. Perhaps you can look in the charity shop for a frame next time you are delivering those gorgeous cards. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a delightful day, all round! Congratulations on the awards.
    Sorry I'm late commenting; I'm behind on everyone's blogs and trying to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Bless, I'm even further behind with everything! There are not enough hours in the day :0/

      Delete

Rain, Repairs and Glamour at the Cinema......

At 8.15am this morning (Wednesday), after quite a warm night, I woke to the patter of rain on the roof and the fresh smell of a rain washed ...