Today, Tuesday, I feel truly blessed. It's 21C and feels so much cooler that I feel more like myself at last. We had rain overnight, from midnight onwards according to Gray who lay in bed listening to it fall, and it's put a few inches of precious water into our water butts.
Yesterday, we went to the allotment to pull some carrots....

..... and this morning I picked cucumbers and peppers from our little greenhouse at home. The single tomato is from the Crimson Crush plant. We've never grown it before and won't bother again because all the fruit has split or remained 'greenback' despite consistent watering. They are only useful for cooking with.....
The second reason for feeling blessed is that the fridge is full to bursting! There are so many bits and pieces to use up that I won't be placing a grocery order next week, at least until we've eaten all the bits and I can actually see some gaps! It really needs a good sort out, doesn't it. Everything in the box at the bottom is home grown produce and in the left hand corner of the bottom shelf is a bag of 6 corn cobs. Yes! We beat the badgers to the corn this year! There are still some to ripen on the far side of the bed in the top photo, which we are hoping will still be there in a few days. We've tried one cob and it was delicious......
There are jams and pickles in the door along with some cheeses and I'm aiming to use up some of the jam so that I can give the jars to Andrea Drury when Howard's lectures begin again in September. She makes lovely jams and marmalades to sell at the lectures for the McMillan Nurses charity......
I began the day with muesli, homegrown raspberries and a dollop of Greek style yogurt. A perfect start to the day 😋......
Another reason to feel blessed is that in an hour or so our Daughter and Granddaughter are coming for lunch. There will be sausage buns with home grown onions gently sauteed to a golden goodness 👍
------------------
Thanks so much for popping in.
How are you feeling today?
Stay safe and well wherever you happen to be,
Angie 💗
Two showers here the last two nights, should help a little.
ReplyDeleteYour veg looks good and well done for beating the badgers - that's one pest I don't have to worry about here.
The badgers have been a bit of a nightmare for the last 7 years. At last the slabs and fencing put into place, at great cost I might add 🙄, seem to be keeping them out. They wont starve because households at the back of the allotment feed them anyway.
DeleteI was feeling a little out of sorts this morning. Don't know why. But I am feeling better now for reading your blessings post. Thank you, Angie and enjoy your full fridge and store cupboard. Glad you beat the badgers to the sweetcorn. 😊
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear you were feeling a little blue this morning, Beverley. I think that this has been such a strange and trying Summer that nothing feels 'safe and familiar' does it, Do you know what I mean? It's so easy to let things get us down. Glad you feel a bit better. Enjoy the cool weather xx
DeleteWhat a lovely post! Just what I needed to read this morning! I'm so glad that it has cooled down to a comfortable level for you (21C is 69F and that's downright cold for me! It's a balmy 90F/32C right now and that's just perfect for me!) Glad you got some rain, too - we could do with a bit of rain, but, it hardly ever rains in the summer, here. We won't get any measurable rain until October or November. You got lots of lovely produce from your garden and a full fridge is truly a blessing, isn't it? Enjoy your visit with your daughter and granddaughter. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling good thank you, it's rained most of the day and much cooler, your harvest are brilliant, not beats homegrown.
ReplyDeleteIsn't wonderful to have rain, and cooler weather. I actually feel full of energy and not drained and worn out. We didn't get rain here in East Sussex until yesterday (Wednesday) and Monday and Tuesday were overcast and very humid. We had a humdinger of a thunder storm last night and that has freshened everything up which lovely. You have done so well with your home grown produce despite the heat and lack of rain. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it feel so much better now we have had some rain and it's all cooled down. We did so well in our neck of the woods with the type of rain too, a whole day of very gentle and intermittent drizzle which softened the ground enough for the following day and nights heavy rain to be able to be absorbed.
ReplyDeleteWell done of actually getting some of your own sweetcorn to eat this year, I remember your disappointment last year. Your fridge is looking very healthy for produce and goodies.
Lots of lovely homegrown goodies. I picked a huge bowl of tomatoes yesterday, we grew Outdoor Girl. Tomatoes with every meal! And we had lots of rain this morning, the raised bed has perked up, and the lawn is looking less like a desert. Hugs. Xx
ReplyDeleteLook at all the homegrown goodness. Hope that your visit went well.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.