The past week seems to have been all about sport and trying to cool off. Nights have been sticky, despite the fans in the bedrooms and sleep has sometimes been elusive. The heat saps all our energy and we have done very little in having days out, or even time out of the house. The aircon unit has been turned on again in the living room which at least keeps one room cool, but sometimes we just need a change of scene.
Yesterday, I bought tickets online for the £2 Silver Screen film, thinking that they would at least have the air conditioning on. They didn't πWe spent 2 sticky hours on faux leather seats and to add insult to injury they had no free biscuits! π¨Yep, even Odeon are trying to save money......
As the cinema is close to M & S, I had ordered a new bra for collection and we popped into the food hall whilst we were there. What bliss! It was lovely and cool π They were just marking down prices on soft fruit (it was 3pm by then) and we nabbed a pack of British strawberries reduced from £2.10 to £1.24, plus British cherries down from £2.50 to £1.33. With the money saved I spent 95p on a small tub of single cream to go with the strawberries.......
The strawberries are absolutely delicious and will make 2 desserts for each of us.......
--------------
The British Gas energy saga still continues. I can see what the problem is. When I changed tariff in May, someone changed my account to show that we now have a dual read meter; day rate plus Sunday rate. We don't. Our meter is still the same one we have had since day one 5 years ago! We have still had no bill/statement since 19th April. Yesterday, I called customer service...again...third time of calling. I explained the problem and the adviser could see the problem but was unable to change it and couldn't even add a reading for the electricity meter. Meanwhile, a cheaper tariff has been offered online and I have taken it. Now that will really confuse them, I'm sure π The lady in the call centre said that she will "escalate" the problem to "the team". The monitor seems to show that everything is working normally, it's just their account system which is failing. I'm not holding my breath for a rapid resolution.......
----------------
Neither Graham nor I are massive sports fans but the TV seems to have been entirely taken over by tennis, football, Formula One etc The TV offerings have been repeat after repeat so it has remained firmly switched off. We did, however, give in and watch the match in which Harry Kane scored two goals, and watched the highlightsπ of the England match against Mexico when they won 3-2. Wow! Why can't they always play like that? I might get to like football after all....
------------
I woke up this morning at 7am and it felt so fresh with the doors and windows wide open. No sun at that point so I set to and tackled the ironing, put another load of washing in the machine, then pegged it out. At 10.40am the doors and windows are now closed once more but I feel much happier having achieved something today before I feel like a limp lettuce once more. It seems we have to bear the heat until after the weekend again. I think it will mean a visit to the local pub at lunchtime today. Now they do have the air con on. We can buy cold drinks and share a cheese and onion bloomer (£4.00) I think I will take my book to read too. A couple of hours in a cool pub will be very welcome π
------------
Thanks for popping in. Stay safe and well wherever you happen to be.
Angie π




It's too hot for me, our sunroom is baking so we sit inside, we do love the tennis, so we have something to watch.
ReplyDeleteIt's been said many times by many people but....it's far too hot!!!
DeleteGive them a week or two, then call back and tell them you want to escalate your problem to the formal complaints department. You may have to out it in writing. Tell them if there is no resolution within eight weeks you will be contacting the ombudsman. You may well have to make good on that threat! We once went 18 months with no bill in our pub, and the gas company insisted we didn’t exist π€¦πΌ♀️ So weird fighting to PAY a bill π
ReplyDeleteGood grief what a nightmare for you. Thank you for the tip.
DeleteI'm sorry the movie theater didn't have any air con or free biscuits! None of our movie theaters offer any free refreshments and the items they sell are definitely overpriced!
ReplyDeleteHope you get your gas bill figured out, eventually! Keep a record of all your calls to them so that you can prove you did call.
It's starting to warm up over here (88F which is 31C, I believe) but, not as hot as it will get later in the summer. I'm quite comfortable with the fan on at that temperature.
33C here yesterday. Far too hot for me!
DeleteIt is hot isn't it? Our house is quite cool at the back but the front is South facing so sun all day, we pull the blinds and spend most of the day in the back rooms. We are up a hill with nothing in front of us and the sea only quarter of a mile away so any sea breeze does come our way for which we are truly grateful. We would like to see The Odyssey but our cinema is a small, old independent one with no air con so think we will wait for cooler weather. Hope you enjoy your cool interlude in the pub. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteOoooh sea breeze sounds wonderful ! We fancy seeing The Odyssey too but the thought of an almost 3 hour film in an airless cinema is not appealing, is it, Sue. The pub was lovely and cool :)
DeleteI feel it is unacceptable that there are no biscuits in the Silver Screen showing. That is usually what I am there for. π
ReplyDeleteApparently, they had run out. People were complaining left right and centre!
DeleteAir con in the cinema would have been wonderful. Let's hope they have it up and working if you go to see 'The Odyssey'.
ReplyDeleteGreat deal on the M&S fruit.
I hope the energy saga gets sorted before you have to resort to stronger measures. You would think that technology could del with this but apparently not!!
Enjoy your time at the pub with some air con and delicious food. Take care and wishing you some cooling breezes.
Yes, it was so hot and sticky, Beverley, I guess they didn't turn it on because there were too few seats taken.
DeleteThank you for the wishes for cooling breezes! We could really do with rain too please!...lol...
I was very happy to get home to air conditioning after staying in the cabin at the reunion. It got to be about 47C inside and took forever to cool down at night. I hope you get your energy straightened out.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Oh my goodness, Jackie, 47C is horrendous. I don't know how you could bear it...
DeleteHello, I'm a new reader, having found you through Sue in Sussex. You are all struggling in your heat, while we in New Zealand are coping with mid-winter which is definitely not tropical ! I'm retired, living with my husband in the capital city, Wellington, and kept very busy helping with 2 grandchildren (8 & 11) who live less than a mile away. They're gorgeous, and very well behaved so it's not a penance. But it does take 3 afternoons a week, and often mornings too.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to more of your posts. Thank you
Hello, Virginia, welcome! Grandchildren are such a joy, aren't they. Mine are all grown up apart from a 10 yr old who lives in Australia and whom I've never actually met. She's a delight when I get the chance to message her, but I do miss having little ones in my daily life. Enjoy yours while you can :)
Delete